Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Coloring tutorial by Karen

Challenge-full

Today, I thought I would try my hand at another colouring tutorial for you featuring this cute freebie from ChiChi Memories called "Hello Girl".
When I first starting using Copics, my goal was to create a realistic looking Caucasian skin tone (I am working on others now too). There are many techniques out there, so this is simply one that works for me. I am all about quick and easy, so this is a technique you can use on any type of digi with different types of colouring tools too! I am using Copics, but this will work with any colouring tool that allows you to blend! Let's get to it!
Step 1

CCT31

Choose 4 colours for your skin tone. The lightest colour will the one you see the most of - the others are used for definition and shading. For Copics, consider using E00, E11, E13 and R20 (this is a pink colour I use for the cheeks).
Step 2

CCT32

Using your lightest tone (E00) colour in the entire face area.

Step 3
CCT35

Using your second tone (E11), outline the edge of the face and along the hair line. Go back to your lightest tone (E00) and blend out the line that was created in small circular motions, moving from the line in towards the middle of the face.

Step 4

CCT33 

Using your darkest tone (E13), add another line around the edge of the face and hairline. Don't worry if this seems really dark...once you have the hair coloured in, this dark edge will look like a shadow. Note - I do not typically blend this colour in as I did with the second tone. I Like to have a sharper line for the shadows, but if you find this too harsh once you have coloured the hair, simply go back and blend it out.

Step 5

CCT34

Using a light pink colour (R20), colour a small circle just below and to the side of each eye.

Step 6

CCT36

Using your lightest tone (E00), use small circles to blend out the edges of the rosy circles. I will blend all the way up to the ear line, and down towards the mouth. This will give a nice flushed look to the cheeks.

Step 7

CCT37

Take a step back and admire your work. Go back and blend any spots that seem blotchy or uneven.

Step 8

CCT38

For small arms and legs, I actually start with my second tone, work darker and then work lighter. There isn't a lot of room to blend, so I find this gives me the softer look I like for arms and legs.
Using your second tone (E11), outline the edges of the arms and legs. Don't forget spots against clothing or objects.

Step 9

CCT39

Using your darkest tone (E13), outline one side of each of the arms and legs (the side furthest from the light sourse you would like to use). In this image, I wanted thelight source coming from the right side, so the left side of each arm and leg received a nice, thin line of E13. At this stage, also make sure you use the darkest tone against all clothing lines.

Step 10

CCT310

Using your lightest tone (E00), work in small circles from the outside edges into towards the centre of each arm and leg.
And there you have it!

Challenge-closeup

Experiment with different colours and tones and adding shadows in different places. It can be a lot of fun to add dimension to the face, arms and legs, so don't be afraid to play a little!
And did you know that ChiChi Memories is now hosting a monthly challenge? If you don't have digis from them yet, go and grab this cutie for free and have some fun colouring! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Challenge-angled

Thanks for stopping by today!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...